Sunday, February 22, 2009

Gambia 6 Days In

Well it has been an interesting last couple days. Friday for our first session of our conference on theological education we had our highest turnout of over 30 pastors. Many key leaders were there from a wide range of denominations. Glen gave a great talk on the importance of theological education. We had quite an interesting discussion afterwards. In light of the evening I planned for food 30 for lunch on Saturday. Unfortunately, Saturday failed to be the success we were hoping for, with only 5 pastors coming. It wasn’t a complete loss, the vice president of the Evangelical Church of the Gambia was there and he was quite excited about the project. Additionally, the current director of IFES came and put his support behind the project. The downside was that we had a lot of benechin to eat, which our team subsequently ate for 3 meals. Oh yeah a team, we had 4 people join the project working in various capacities for CVM and so the house has a little more activity. They will be working on various health and community development projects over the next 6 weeks.

Friday afternoon we also met with Rev. Alieu Bayo who heads the BBTC (Banjul Bible Training Centre). It was a really encouraging meeting as he sees our project as the logical next step for graduates from his program and also he offered use of his facilities for courses.
Today (Sunday) we had a pretty full day. Glen was off to the cathedral to preach and David and I headed to a rural charismatic Anglican church in a village called Lamin. Not growing up with liturgy I found the 2 and a half hour service a little lengthy (partly due to Dr. Reed’s sermon and the 15 minute processional). I personally think you are walking too slowly if you have to restart the hymn over. It was pretty formal liturgy with charismatic parts inserted in various places. The church seemed alive and vibrant; there was a testimony of the prayers of the people healing an insane adolescent. I would go back to that church again and I may during one of my future trips. Tonight Dr. Reed led a healing service, giving a great sermon. More than 30 people came forward for healing. It was kind of funny because Glen got roped into praying for the sick when he was not expecting to. The pastor just announced for Glen to come up to the front and start praying for people. It was a great Christ-centered service and I think it was a real blessing to that church.

On a lighter note I have found a new species of frog in the Gambia, the toilet frog. We have a little friend, whom I affectionately call Skippy, who lives under the rim of the toilet bowl in our upstairs bathroom. Don’t ask me how he got there but he has been there all week. About one in ten flushes he will get washed down the side and then hang on for dear life. After the water stops he just climbs back up to his home. David and I have been trying to capture this elusive creature on film, because I know those who are reading this do not believe me. It is true, I assure you. I have reflected a lot about Skippy, life and purpose. It is just a strange existence, but I think he is happy.

One prayer point is for a meeting we have on Tuesday with the Gambian Christian Council. We will meet the Chairman of the Methodist Church, the Catholic Bishop and the Anglican Bishop about our proposal. This is the most important meeting that we will have here. Ok I am signing off here. I will try to write again on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment