Friday, February 20, 2009

The Strange and the Familiar

For anyone who has travelled internationally, you know the experience of feeling that the plane is like a giant time machine which transports you swiftly and rather painlessly to another world. I experienced this again when we disembarked in the small African nation of The Gambia. The air was warmer, the terrain was browner (more earth than asphalt), the sights and sounds were stranger--another continent and another culture.
Fortunately, I have been "here" before. Not exactly here, but in Africa. Nearly 30 years ago Carlynn and I spent over a month in the Sudan. But it does not take long to realize that vast differences exist here as well--language, customs, religion. It's like saying to a Torontonian, "I have a friend in Vancouver; do you know her?"
Differences, as we know, can be the kindling wood that fuels wars and violence. Add to this that great global beast called the internet and you simply magnify the differences. This should humble those of us who naively assume that such global communication will soon make us one big happy planet family. Really, looking at some people up close is not an invitation for a kiss! Of course like most things in this world, differences can be the occasion for enrichment as well as animosity.
I have been fortunate in recent years to experience other cultures and learn from them, which gives me an increasing sense of the familiar. Within hours my memory bank was pouring out wonderful images of African colour, sound and taste that I remember so fondly.
But the big surprise came when I met Martin, the national staff person at the CVM Centre. As I told him of my first visit to Africa, one of those memorable moments happened. Martin is Sudanese, and an Anglican. Within moments we were bouncing around names and persons that we both know.
A delightful moment of the familiar within a swirl of the strange!

No comments:

Post a Comment