Tuesday, February 24, 2009

In the Company of Bishops and Chairman


Well today was a historic moment for theological education in the Gambia. Glen, David and I met with the Bishop Ellison of the Catholic Church, Chairman Greg of the Methodist Church, and Bishop Johnson of the Anglican church. I am still in awe of the good spirit and the positive working relationship these men have. I guess when you work in a predominantly Muslim nation, you need to work together. In Canada we can hardly get a congregation to agree on something, let alone a diverse group of people such as these. That being said, the meeting was better than I could have ever anticipated. The Methodists, Catholics, and Anglicans all are supportive of our proposal to bring theological education to the Gambia. All have tried various initiatives on their own, and all have only had limited success in their opinions; a joint venture, they feel, is the answer to the need they have in The Gambia. We as a neutral third party are poised nicely to come alongside these groups and move forward. Only one key group remains, the Evangelical Fellowship of the Gambia, who I assume will be supportive. It has been a long road and many meetings but I think that we have accomplished what we set out to do. Thanks for all your prayers over the last week. We just have a few last meetings to wrap up.


It has been a good experience, getting to know Glen and David on a more personal level. I have some stories that you can ask me about later (not suitable for publication). Also, neither of them are really morning people from what I can gather. I feel that I have had a foretaste of what it must be like to have teenage kids. Dr. Reed insists it is because he doesn’t have an alarm clock, but that is a weak excuse. In the mornings Dr. Reed’s mood can be apocalyptic. I laughed when I read revelation this week; it reminded me of Dr. Reed walking down the stairs in the morning.


“I saw one like the Son of Man, clothed with a long robe and with a golden sash across his chest. His head and his hair were white as white wool, white as snow; his eyes were like a flame of fire, his feet were like burnished bronze, refined as in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of many waters.”


Once you get a little coffee in him (or a coke), he gets back to normal. If you feed him, I find he is a little more friendly.


Update on skippy the toilet frog, he was spotted last night but David didn’t get the camera in time. We only have three more days to get him on film.

No comments:

Post a Comment